Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

My son had this surgery in February in his freshman year. He is a D1 pitcher and used the Cryocuff like you described. It is a great aid in reducing the swelling after the surgery and he also found it beneficial in supporting his shoulder for sleeping. He had his surgery on a Friday and came home for the weekend. With the reduction in swelling, he was comfortable enough to return to school the following Wednesday in a sling. He started therapy nearly right away and used the cryocuff after that as well. We are 4 months after surgery and he is into his 6th week of the graduated throwing progra and also continuing with exercises and physical therapy. So far, so good. he has responded well to therapy and progressed as hoped but there is still a ways to go.

Its a hard thing but a positive outlook really helps. He missed his season which was difficult for a kid to accept but a decision he personally made as his best option. The therapy was/is a pain and you have to be religious about it. He has never really complained much about the pain, even right after the surgery. He took the approach that, now I'm fixed but I have to heal and get strong again. It seems like a long time but in reality, it flew by. He had to overcome the "fear" of throwing those first few 45' tosses but he once he did so without pain, its like a light went on, I can do this! The key now is to maintain the slow and steady, gradual build. Fall ball is viewed as a return to regular activities (assuming no setback) but he is not looking at it as a return to normal performance. He should be able to get back on the mound, get his feet wet, face batters but there is no rush to air it out. His real time table is the regular season and that will put his recovery at around 11 1/2 months. We hope he makes it.
I wish your son the best as well. Listen to the doctor, listen to his arm, be optimisic but realistic. Give it your best shot and things have a way of working out.