Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

quote:
Originally posted by jsingerjj:
Freddie, thanks for the insight. I am bet when juniro stat sthorwing it will be like starting from scratch.
My major concern is when he heads off to college at the end of August. He will done with the initial 18 Pt sessions here. But hwen he goes up to Nebraska he will be working with the therapists that the college send their athletes to.
Probably not a big concern juts change in the routine.

jsingerjj,
my suggestion would be to try and have this as seamless as possible for your son.
It appears there are 2 ways to do this(might be more and I only am seeing 2.)
The first would be to have his surgeon provide the recommended program to rehab the shoulder and provide that to the school trainers to make sure they are in agreement and will follow the program completely.
The other option is to reach out to the trainers at the college and find out if they have a rehab program for labrum/SLAP repairs. If they do, obtain it and present it to the operating surgeon for review/approval/modification.
It might be that the school will have something completely similar to the program recommended by the surgeon. I would want want to mitigate/eliminate the chances they don't, if you can.
Along way, some things are going to be important:
1.) Range of motion, especially the range of shoulder motion to throw a baseball, is critical. Having those measurements done on a regular but periodic basis is important to determining progress and alterations/additions which might be needed. You want to be starting to throw after achieving adequate ROM in various motions in the shoulder, rather than relying on some specific number of weeks/months that don't take into consideration the ROM progress. Making sure the records from AZ(both doctor and PT) go with your son when he goes to school seems like a good step, also.
2.) Strength is another factor that needs to be monitored carefully along the way, especially as throwing starts and there are good days/bad days necessitating adjustments to the program.
Glad to hear things are progressing and the tear was not as significant when the surgery was done.