Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

From all indication Jeff’s recovery is going well. He has a positive attitude about how the therapy sessions are going and his therapist says this are going just fine. In reading other posts on this topic, I think both of us are staying away from looking at him being ahead/behind schedule and focusing on how feels that particular day. Jeff started taking walks at night to get some exercise and I think for both of us are dealing with the mental part of him not being able to play.
What triggered me to add to this post occurred last night. It was 10:30, I was getting ready for bed flipping through channels getting the watching the highlights of the nights MLB games. I saw that Field of Dreams was on at 11:00pm. I set the record on my DVR to have in saved. As 11:00 rolled around still watching TV, I flipped over to the movie and began watching. I sat there and watched the hold movie. I have seen it a hundred times and always tear up when Ray has catch with his dad. This time, I started to tear up almost from the beginning, Tears continued through the movie which lead to full on cry when Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe explained how he felt when he had the game taken away from him. It touched the most sensitive nerve as father who shares a passion oh this game with his son. At that point I would have given anything to go get Jeff and go out and play a game on catch or hit him balls.
I know he has to the majority of the rehab on his own. He will be away at College when he can start throwing again. There is void in me because I won’t be the one playing catch with him or hitting balls at a time when as father I feel I need to be there like have since he was 4.