Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

jsingerjj- I share the same concerns with respect to my TJ surgery recovery. In my opinion, it's largely about open communication.

One question I will pose in light of your previous inquiry about the catching bullpens scenario. I don't mean for this to come off rudely in any sort of way, but I don't really know how to word it so that it is not so blunt. But here it goes...why does he want to catch bullpens? The rehab process is so long he'll have plenty of time to worry about rehabbing the rest of his baseball skills back into form. Why is it such a rush to do so now? Is it because he is anxious (he's stated his frustration directly to me)? Or is it because he wishes to continue to improve in baseball? If it is the first reason, I urge patience. The second, I urge patience as well. All will come in time with respect to the surgery. There is a reason why the protocols are written the way they are, and a reason why the medical professionals that have proven to be successful in these aspects have come up with their methods.

Hope this helps. Again, sorry for being rather blunt about it. Don't want to be too harsh. Your son is obviously both talented and passionate, and I've had direct conversations with him about many of these things. Rushing, in my opinion and from the advice I've been given, is a huge no-no.