Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

I wanted to provide an update. After his last PT session in Arizona on Aug. 22nd his ROM continued to progress. He has begun some strengthening exercises with very light weight. This was actually the 1st therapy session I attended as I wanted to make sure my son had everything he needed as far as documentation for the PT in Nebraska.
He has been cleared to do lower body and core exercises as long it didn’t involve a bar (meaning no squats or the like). He is also cleared for running, speed and agility exercises. I think this is a big step for him mentally as it allows for him to work his lower body, core, speed and agility which has been an opportunity in which to improve in the past.
We got him all moved in at his school and he had two visits to his new PT this past week. My best comparison between the two PTs is a Mercedes to a Honda. The PT in AZ was top of the line. The have a number of MLB clients and pull out all the stops from extra heat/cold treatment, electric stimulation, and massage. His averga PT session would take 1 and ½ hours. His 1st session at the new PT was 45 min. The new PT is following all of the protocol outlined by the surgeon and the facility is the much the same. However, the extras he no longer gets is a bit disappointing.
The biggest difference in the short time he has been away has been his mental state. He mentioned how he enjoyed being on the field while hitting and throwing activities were going on. Even though he is a spectator except for throwing some extra soft toss to teammates (left handed). This has been huge for him. He is part of the team while all summer he was alone without any team participation.
He comes home in Mid-October for doctor visit. If he stays on track, he could begin the path to developing his throwing motion and doing some limited baseball activities, then starting a throwing program in late October.