Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum (SLAP) tear surgery tomorrow"

Been a long time since I've visited the message board.

Wanted to provide an update. Unfortunately it probably isn't the update player who are going through this want to hear.

Since the last update almost a year ago. My son made the travel roster, even though he wasn't able to play defense. He got 6 at bats the whole season. He spent most of the games charting pitches and warming up pitcher sin the bullpen.

He had numerous set backs with his throwing program at the 120, 150, and 180 foot stages. He completed the program pain mostly pain free in May, which was 10 months post surgery. He came home and played summer ball. He played pretty well but his throws to down to second didn't have a lot on them. Midway through summer ball he became frustrated. At that point he decided he was just gonna let it loose and play as long as he could.
The last game of summer ball he hurt the shoulder again. He gave it some rest before going back to school for fall ball.

He had a couple good weeks and then the pain started again. At that point he hung it up. He couldn't remember the last time he felt 100% on a baseball field.

He worked so hard and was dedicated to getting the best physical shape of his life. He probably could have kept playing as a 1st baseman or DH. But he was always more a defensive catcher and wasn't going to be a prototypical 1B or DH.

He still part of the program as student assistant and is able to keep his scholarship. He has great relationship with his coach and is getting great experience as he wants to get into coaching.

I don't know what he could have done differently. Its been a coupe months since he hung it up and he seems very happy and is really enjoying the college experience.

He has taken up golf, which I explained can more you look more foolish than a hard slider or good change up.