Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum surgery"

https://www.sandiegouniontribu...adres-doctor-surgery

Here is an article based on an interview with my son’s surgeon and his reaction to Fernando Tatis Jr’s shoulder injury. Bottom line is if you have shoulder pain you should get an expert medical opinion! Surgery worked well for my son and he is playing baseball pain free.

Two observations on how the surgery affected my son.

Number 1-He now swings with a two-handed follow through protecting his repaired shoulder. No one told him to—I think it was natural given the surgical repair and all of the rehab. He is a switch hitter and I’ve noticed he now does this when hitting from the right side as well!

Number 2–Before the surgery he was 2-way pitching and playing a position. He has now settled into catching nearly full time and has adopted a catcher’s throwing motion—even when playing catch. Essentially he is throwing the ball from his ear without “cocking it” back, that is, he is no longer rotating the ball and the palm of his hand to face opposite the direction of throw as is commonly seen with a pitcher.

Both changes don’t seem to impact the ability to hit or throw, but I noticed them.

Enjoy the article and best wishes for a full recovery to Fernando!