Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum Tear and PRP"

Close to the same minus the PRP.  My son just finished his Sophomore year as a D3 pitcher.  The summer before his Freshman year, covid summer, he started feeling shoulder pain.   MRI showed exactly what you are saying small slap tear of the Labrum.  A highly respected doctor at a highly reputable practice recommends immediate surgery.  A second highly reputable doctor at a highly reputable practice didn't recommend surgery.  The tear was not big enough. PT was recommended.  Son did PT and kicked up his workouts, and had no issues for two years.  It did take 3-4 months though to get back to normal.  A few weeks before this season ended the pain came back.  MRI readout shows a bigger tear, and two doctors recommend repair and cleaning up around the rotator cuff, including the doc who recommended PT a few years ago.  Son was on the fence but has decided to get surgery which is now scheduled for May 19th, next Thursday.  It's a 4-6 month recovery, so he will be back for spring.   

As a previous SLAP tear patient myself I say if a doctor recommends PT and PRP over surgery go that route first.  My repair happened in my mid 40's and my shoulder has never been the same, could just be age....We are not sorry we went with PT first and now find son going with surgery.  That is our experience.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.