Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum Tear and PRP"

Hi All:

My son missed almost all of his first year as a D3 pitcher due to shoulder issue. Just received MRI and posterior labrum tear that doc says is small. Recommended rest and PRP injection instead of surgery. Def not the worst news but has anyone had experience with this approach?

I know the approach is to avoid surgery at all costs but Im wondering if this approach is just putting off an inevitable repair. Anyone with any advice would be appreciated.

thx!

Great write up on PRP https://www.painscience.com/ar...sma-does-it-work.php - basically it doesn't work for anything literally ever. If you're a multi-million dollar athlete with money to lose, go for it. Otherwise absolutely don't waste your money.

While I'm all for avoiding surgery, if your son went through a really good comprehensive rehab program (and not for a few weeks either, talking a few months), and things just haven't gotten any better and he's no closer to throwing pain free, then with that evidence it may be helpful. Just know that it's also possible to have that posterior labrum tear before ever having had arm pain, so what he's seeing could be like seeing a bird on top of a stop light. Just because you see it there when the light is green doesn't mean it caused that light to be green.

But if his rehab looked like a lot of rubbing, scraping, needling, stretching, bands, and light weights, then I would say he hasn't gone through a good rehabilitation program and thus surgery wouldn't be my thought.

Has their sports medicine staff spoke about where they were hoping to see him be by 4/8/12 weeks+?