Skip to main content

Reply to "labrum tear"

quote:
Originally posted by smooth ali:
ive went to see a physical therapist and he told me that i probably have a labrum tear, i want to know if with therapy can i still have a good baseball career, such as playing in college and things like that

smooth,
I believe the information provided that a physical therapist cannot diagnose a labral tear is correct.
You should get yourself to a sports orthopedist and preferably one knowledgeable with baseball players.
The diagnosis is one usually made based on the clinical history, clinical findings(clicking in the shoulder, instability, and weakness at at or above shoulder level) and an MRI with contrast(dye).
For many players, the diagnosis is a tough one based on history and clinical exam because they work so hard on range of motion and strength that it might be mistaken, and too often is, for bursitis and/or impingement syndrome.
Certainly, a trial of conservative care can be best, including strengthening, flexibility and the like. It does not heal the tear, but does allow for strengthening to compensate for any tear that might be diagnosed.
If there isn't adequate improvement with conservative care, other treatment options including surgery need to be explored.
Conservative care, strengthening and range of motion for up to 6 weeks is a reasonable period, likely with no throwing, if a tear is suspected for your symptoms. If you get improvement and then the symptoms recur with throwing rehab have it checked immediately.
If you are able to confirm the labral tear, or if it is not confirmed but you are having symptoms, be careful in letting doctors use cortisone injections.
Good luck to you on your efforts to determine the correct diagnosis and treatment and being headed toward recovery.
3FG, as difficult as it can be a for many minor leaguers to get the team to authorize and pay for an MRI when the player is injured and impacted in playing ability, I am both surprised and chagrined to read the news that shoulder and elbow MRIs are routinely given for every MLB pitcher, even those without symptoms or impairment. Interesting implications.
Do you think the rountine MRI is for "diagnostics" or contract mitigation since it isn't for treatment?
Last edited by infielddad