Skip to main content

Reply to "labrum tear"

I have received a number of emails and pm's on the topic recently, and thought I would share publicly some of what I have shared privately.

My son is one of three of his teammates to undergo SLAP repair at about the same time. He is the only one of the three to make it back so far. He is also the only one of the three to follow his rehab to the T. The others are experiencing stiffness, lack of range of motion and pain. Junior was only home for about 2 weeks immediately post op and then back at West Point. But for those two weeks, he had stretching exercises and isometrics that he had to be doing, and was diligent.

The key to recovery in my mind, is to follow the rehab protocol without deviation. The shoulder will feel good enough to do more, but don't. There are small muscles in the shoulder that if overworked, especially from the standpoint of using too much weight or resistance, will not get worked, because the larger muscles will take over.

At one point in the rehab we had to adjust to throw less frequently. The trainer adjusted the number of throws to be more, but then the rest period between sessions to be longer. In my sons case, this worked out well.

When he first came back, he focused on regaining his velocity and his control suffered greatly. After a couple of weeks, he backed off on velocity in search of his control, which he found rather quickly at the lower speeds. He had been an 89-91 sitting pitcher before surgery, and then he was throwing 3 hit shutouts at 83-84 mph with pinpoint control and good movement. His delivery looked effortless and he told me he felt he could pitch all day like that. As the season progressed, he gradually increased velocity naturally, to the point where last weekend, he was sitting 89-90 and looked comfortable.

Quite honestly, when the surgeon told me that he fully expected my son to recover 100% and pitch at the highest level he was capable of, I was skeptical. It did give me hope however, in that he didn't hedge at all. In hindsight, it appears he was correct.