Skip to main content

Reply to "labrum tear"

CPLZ,
I am extremely happy to be reading the information about your son, his experience, and his recovery to competing this season, at a high level, and at the Regional.
I agree that following the rehab plan concisely and precisely is important, I believe there are many, many keys to recovery.
From my research, the following items are at least as important:
1. The quality and experience of the surgeon doing the labral repair;
2. The extent of damage to the labrum(1 tear or more than 1) and rotator cuff;
3. The location and size of the tear;
4. The quality of the rehab plan:
5. Some luck!!

From what our son experienced, every doctor and therapist, prior to surgery, will express complete optimism that recovery will be 100%. Ours in fact was told by the MLB team orthopedist and training staff that he would be fully recovered and able to play 5 months post surgery. With repeat questioning, he and "we' received strong assurance of complete recovery and the time frames for that recovery.
Our son followed the team required PT plan and throwing rehabilitation program. After many months(far beyond 5 months) he was not improving.
In a study reported by a Phillies team orthopedist in the Spring of 2008, he concluded that about 25% to 30% of the players who are post shoulder surgery recover to their pre-injury level of competition. His analysis called for more attention to this pretty dismal recovery rate.
I completely agree with the idea that hope for complete recovery is critical. For those of our sons who do have such a result, you have to jump for joy.
Unfortunately, to this date, it appears they may be more the exception rather than the rule.