Skip to main content

Reply to "lack of playing experience for coaches"

I agree this is a good topic. I think the key to being a good coach is willing to be a student of the game. I can only speak for myself, but I go to every clinic I can. I have talked with other coaches who think they know it all or are willing to stay as is. The day I think I still can't learn something will be the day I hang it up. Also assistants are a critical part. I have been lucky to have had great asst. coaches. The assist. I have would make a fantastic head coach if he wanted to be. The key is you have to trust your assist 100% and let him do his thing. I have had other assist who moved on and took over other programs and done well. I still see some programs where the head coach seems afraid to bring someone on board who might show them up so to speak. As for the teacher part there are ways to sidestep that if you want to. And Larry is correct being around great coaches is a vaulable resource. I have played for some of the best around and and against them. I will admit I have stolen alot of the qualities from those fine men over the years.