Skip to main content

Reply to "Large Recruiting Classes"

This "over recruiting" is a good topic, I think it should be explored completely.

I believe that the majority of parents and kids are not aware of "the realities in recruiting". I would bet that most kids that sign at a school are unaware that they are subject to being cut due to over recruiting(If that is the case).

What does it say about a coach that had 36 on the roster last year, loses 5 or 6 to grad. or draft and then goes and recruits 16 to 20 kids? Does it say he wants to win?
Now, there is a school that a few hsbbwebster's are headed to that does things differently. They lost some kids last year and signed some this year. By the looks of it, they still have 1 or 2 spots left for the late signing period. This school was ranked in the top 25 all last year.

To be fair, the coach that appears to be over recruiting maybe isn't. There could be many circumstances other than cuts that necessitates a large recruiting class.
With the new rules, I DO believe over recruiting is wrong, even if the kid is aware of it! How is a kid going to be able to judge where his place is on the team while being recruited? This is the coaches judgement, not the kid!
To me, it is plain and simple, any coach that knowingly over recruits and clearly intends to cut/cull kids every year is wrong. I understand there will always be a kid or two thats total bust. But to intentionally over recruit and cut kids that can't transfer to another D1 ????

I hope that next year when we see the recruiting classes that all of them match up with the teams needs. And that may happen, as this is the last year for transfers.