Skip to main content

Reply to "Large Recruiting Classes"

quote:
Originally posted by TripleDad:
quote:
It would seem that far too many players, and particularly far too many parents, overestimate ability, and then cry foul when it was simply a matter of a a poor fit and unrealistic expectations of both program and son.

***** whoever said that I disagree with 100%

It doesn't matter what a parent thinks in this context. It all comes down to field play

IF a coach recruits a kid and the kid doesn't work out, Who is to blame?
I say that it is the coach! He either did not do his homework, or doesn't possess the skill to evaluate a recruit. I don't see how you could blame a kid/parent for making the mistake of signing with a program that he is not qualified for! The coach knows his team, knows his needs, knows his conference, knows the level of competition....the kid/parent doesn't. If a coach recruits my kid, he is telling me/kid that based upon HIS EXPERTISE in evaluating talent, that my son fits in his program.

I have been around baseball a long time and I can say that I DO NOT have the ability to judge whether or not my kid can play for any given program. If a coach sees something in my kid he likes, I am at the mercy of the coaches judgement/honor/ability.

I understand and appreciate competition, but if a coach is cutting kids every year because they don't have the goods, isn't there a problem?

Keep in mind, I am posting regarding cutting kids, not playing time.

So whats the point of this helpless rant...the point is we are talking about naive kids placing trust in the coach(expert) to do the right thing. And that means sticking with the kids you recruit.

I think that coaches with class, coaches that believe in themselves, coaches that believe in their recruits, and coaches with the winning spirit to dig in with HIS boys and make it happen are the ones that do it right.
Coaches that have to over recruit and cull to make it happen, well............................

**** Now that I agree with 100%

Regarding the talk of kids being handed positions thru high school and having to earn it in college, well...........

all these kids know that their college teammates are all the cream of the crop, and if you ask any of them, they drive each other to be the best with internal competition, even the so-called top ranked studs. And at least from what I hear, also support each other for the good of the team.

Many, if not all have also dominated with their summer teams, their summer competition, and in some cases, on a national level, but they still have to produce daily, regardless of past accomplishments.

A true player/competitor plays hard all the time.