Skip to main content

Reply to "Large Recruiting Classes"

****leHDD,

Please Roll Eyes there should be no comparison, when it comes to cutting players, between pro and college!

TripleDad,

Well said , it is the coach, but it is the system that allows it. Unless and until public awareness is raised no changes will be made. But anyone can identify the problem, and it's not just baseball -- all NCAA regulated sports have some form of institutional bias over the individual student athlete because, the institution has banned together to protect its individual members through the NCAA; and the court system has generally upheld the NCAA "independent" of suit (Supreme Court 1988). Any parent that has had a kid has a story or knows someone who does.

The difference here is, usually only dreams are shattered, only trust is broken. Though some physical abuse does occur i.e., kids suggested to take steroids, overuse, playing injured etc. it is fairly rare. You see, the universe of people affiliated with college sports while very large and significant is most importantly - transient. Let me say that another way - most people say well it ain't worth fighting because it'll be over soon anyway...and so you get screwed and chalk it up to experience...kinda like going on a vacation to a resort or a cruise which looked really good on paper but was alot of false advertising. Did you get taken, yes! is it too much trouble to do anything about yes! does the next guy get it sure!...BECAUSE THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT!

But here is a possible solution, the only one that i can think of anyway. I'm just waiting for the system to screw the wrong Super Rich Maverick who hates "the system"...not that such a hero actually exists!

For the affordable sum of about $25-$50 a year if every student athlete contributed to a union that would generate millions of dollars that could scare the system straight...if only because it wouldn't be transient. The instances where the kid gets screwed at one school I guarantee you are 100 fold across the country. Now a kid calls his union rep, they get enough similar complaints and they drag someone into something that's more bothersome than fixing the problem...But most of all they get what every Institution hates...negative press

That's how our great country works!