Skip to main content

Reply to "Last Minute Tips"

3and2Fastball posted:

This is good information, but honestly asking:

is that stuff really necessary?  If a kid is good enough to get drafted, does he really need to market himself to scouts?  Especially once the scouts already know about him?

I don't understand the point. Are we trying to move up higher in the draft order?  I'm not a scout, but if I was I'd want to see how hard the player works and prepares, not how well they market themselves.

Perhaps I've completely misunderstood this

This is the time of year when the process goes beyond written reports from the area scout towards the regional and national scouting directors, as well as the VP of Player Development and in some cases the GM.

Now why is this important? Because a week before the draft, everyone gets together to put together their draft boards, and the placement of a player on that draft often relies upon the ability of the area scout to argue the case for that player. Q: do you as a player or a parent of a player or an adviser to a player want everything to come down to an area scout's rhetorical skills? Of course not: you want everyone to be on the same page regarding the player's skill set.

And you want everyone to know that everyone else has been observing the player...from levels beyond the area scout.

So are you marketing the player? No. You're just ensuring that everyone from all levels has been observing the player, and that everyone knows that the other guys have been observing the player.