Skip to main content

Reply to "Last Minute Tips"

coach2709 posted:
Kevin A posted:

And that isn't good coaching from the other coach.  That's just being a d*ck to be a d*ck.

Game tied and men are on and you walk him, that is strategy.  But this opposing coach made it personal even when the score made the intentional walk a non-factor.

Don't we teach our kids that when they get beat and beat fairly to accept it?  Hit a smoking line shot and the guy pulls one out his rump and makes the catch, we tell our kids to tip your cap at a great effort and go back to work right?   

But coaches are supposed to lead by example.  My brother in law is a HS head coach.  I know for a fact if it was 0-0 to start a game and no one on, he is going to challenge that batter.  A: That is his style and B: He believes in his kids to get the job done.

Just realized you had posted this from over a month ago.  To add a little more to that story - we ended up winning like 14 - 0 because we took it easy on them after the first inning but irregardless of the situation they intentionally walked our guy.  It was frustrating for everyone.  Next day in the paper the opposing coach said his strategy had worked because our guy didn't beat them.  While that is true the other 8 guys in the lineup kicked his a$$.  He only lasted one year as head coach.

Totally agree about challenging kids like that.  That's why we play the game.  Yeah game is on the line and strategically it helps us to win then yeah it's fine to walk him but to just take the bat out of his hands was too far.

If OUR head coach would have made a quote like that ( I am no professional, but that was about a stupid comment as you can make IMO), our Varsity parents would have ran him out of town!!!!  My 2020 was called up near the end to have another warm up catcher so I got to spend about 5 games with the varsity parents and they are BRUTAL.  Some coaches will have their share of parents who think he is an idiot whether or not its true.  But a press comment like that simply confirms their suspicions.  LOL