Skip to main content

Reply to "Late bloomer and injuries, what are the options?"

@fenwaysouth posted:

You are a very financially generous parent.   My wife and I weren't nearly as generous or nice putting our 3 kids through college.  We required our kids have a roadmap to an outcome..."what do you want to be when you grow up, how are you going to get there, and what level of financial support do you need from Mom & Dad".  This was discussed in detail with each kid because the backyard money tree had reached maturity.   If my kid had no planned outcome, there simply was no college financial support from my wife and I.    At 17 and 18 years old they were more than capable of coming up with that answer, and they did.

I don't understand the emphasis on baseball as a means to get his education unless he is going to become a professional baseball player.   Why match baseball to the education when you can match the education to baseball if he has other professional plans (doctor, lawyer, tinker, tailor, soldier, spy)?  It just seems to me that there is extraordinary effort (PG Year, JUCO) to pursue baseball with his history of injuries when he has already been accepted to some colleges.  Does he feel he has unfinished business on the baseball field, and he is willing to pay for that experience?

None of my kids wanted to be professional baseball player, yet one of them loved the game enough to play D1 baseball knowing that he would walk away from it in 4 years to be a professional engineer.  Unless your son wants to be a professional baseball player (even with all his injuries), it seems like you are putting the cart before the horse, and paying for both.

I hope it works out for your son.  Good luck!

JMO.

If it helps getting the financial aspect of anything we possibly decide digest better, know that we paid nothing for my oldest.  Maybe a few RT plane tickets.  My younger one doesn't want to throw grenades or blow up bridges so that route was out.  Sports for my oldest was a way to continue the challenge and fun.

Different kid, different take, different goals. This younger one has had a restaurant job since he was 15, has a side gig, and manages it around his baseball and school schedule. He has skin in the game and he has to earn/pay his share. He knows the limits.

The concept of using baseball to pay for school is always interesting as academic scholarships are so much better than hoping you can get a 1/3 scholarship for baseball. He is playing for love of the game, not as a means to his education. Baseball can be complimentary to his education, not in contrast to or as a requirement to his education.

I took 5 years to get my first degree and it pertains absolutely zero to what I do today.  From my experience, making the big 4 year financial decision now for the rest of his life is not a necessary route.

Sometimes, helping out a bit in the short run pays big dividends in the long run.

Last edited by Target