Skip to main content

Reply to "Late bloomer and injuries, what are the options?"

@TPM posted:

Is it true that most D1 programs, except for the HA and a few exceptions, prefer that players do not take engineering as a major?

Clemson discouraged son from engineering. I didn't get then, but do now.

I think it depends on the coach.  I have talked to former players who's coach told them to change majors and get their Engineering degree after they use up their playing eligibility.  That coach is now long gone, though, and I know the new one tries to work with the students (and has had students graduate with good STEM degrees, not sure about Engineering specifically).

I also think that there is a more recent push for student athletes to do better academically.  They have more tutoring now than they did in the past, for sure, and I constantly get bugged about the progress of our student athletes (some part of me wishes they had a similar system for non-student athletes).  The big issue that I have seen with baseball players is in the Spring time having conflicts with laboratories.  However, most faculty are willing to work with them.

No matter what school a kid goes to, it is important to make sure there are examples of kids who were successful that shares academic goals with your kid.