Skip to main content

Reply to "Late bloomer and showcases and camps"

@RJM posted:

Let's start with the most common advice any coach or board will provide. Don't worry about what you can't control. It's too late to worry about when is your son's birthday. My son was a physical late bloomer with a May birthday. The one ounce of thought I gave it was the possibility of doing a PG year if it meant moving up to a top fifty D1 program.

A younger player doing showcases has to have at least one skill that stands out. It provides a coach the ability to possibly project if the other skills will follow. If he doesn't have that one skill yet do a local college showcase just to get comfortable with the routine and see where other local kids are with their skills.

It appears your son will be a D3 prospect. Do the research up front on how to get to the right events with the right colleges in attendance. It helps to have an advocate (a coach or instructor preselling him to college coaches) rather than showing up to a showcase and hoping to be noticed. Every event my son attended his travel coach had called coaches to tell them he has a player who is a potential fit for their program. His high school coach, also connected in the baseball world offered to help close.

You haven't mentioned grades. Are they good enough to do a Head First event?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what the qualifications are for Head First events, but he does have good grades (a 3.9 GPA after freshman year), and, based on his sophomore PSAT score, he should end up with a 1300+ SAT score when he takes it.

I was thinking about a Headfirst event. I was also considering the I95 event (which is not academic based), which is less than 30 minutes from us. But they are both $1100 or so, which I'm wondering if those events would be worth it this summer, knowing that it might not be the right time for him.

I was also thinking about having him do a D3 college camp a college or two in the Centennial Conference close to home (maybe Swarthmore, F&M or Washington College).