Skip to main content

Reply to "Late Commits"

Committing late is in the eye of the beholder.   There is a significant difference between a late D1 P5 recruit and a late D3 HA recruit.  Each "category" within the college baseball universe has its own recruiting window.  Over the years, that window has gotten earlier, but the categories are the same as the talent hierarchy doesn't change.

In @keewarts example above, a similar situation happened to my son.  An SEC coach reached out a year after one of his pitching recruits had a legal situation and determined that it is extremely difficult for his recruit to pitch from prison.   So, a year later the SEC coach who had recruited my son's travel team catcher was now offering him (academic money) in the middle of the mid-major D1 recruiting cycle as well as Ivy and Patriot recruiting period.  Not long after that, the D3 HA recruiting cycle kicked in.  I do subscribe to @Ripken Fan's pitcher late commit comment, as I think it is easier to add arms and see what sticks.

There is a poster's son (engineering major) who committed to a D3 HA school in May of his senior year.   He had been recruited by D1 and Ivys earlier in the cycle but decided to keep looking.  His team ended up going to the D3 College World Series at least twice that I can recall, and got his engineering degree in 4 years (which is no small feat).  Sometimes committing late can be a very, very good thing.  It depends on the recruit.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth