Skip to main content

Reply to "Late Commits"

I will preface this post by saying it was a long time ago but there is a point to the story, so… I committed to OU early in my senior year of HS. But I didn’t have a good year and OU reneged on their offer at the 11th hour. I graduated HS not knowing where I would attend college or if I would even play anymore baseball. I attended a Montreal Expo tryout camp (yes, MLB teams used to do that) and had a good enough camp to get 2 Juco offers. Being the idiot that I was I took the wrong one. I didn’t want to pitch (was tired of my arm hurting) and when Red Murff (Expo scout) told Leroy Dreyer (then HC at Blinn College) to offer me a scholarship to pitch I said no thanks. Murff said my only chance to play in college was to pitch. I told him I thought he was wrong and after hitting .220 my freshman year at another school I found out he was right. I transferred to Texas A&M and walked on with 200 other players and 2 of us made the roster - both hard throwing RHPs. I played on 2 SWC Championship teams and played with 6 big leaguers. So it all worked out fine for me. However, I would have never been successful at A&M had I not played the one year of JuCo first. The JuCo year humbled me and taught me (the hard way) that I had to work hard and get better. I would never have had the perseverance or the maturity to make it at A&M had I not gone to JuCo first. That’s one of the reasons that I push the JuCo route so hard. I know what it did for me and I see a ton of HS kids that think they are ready for the big time program - and they aren’t. Just like I wasn’t. But the moral of the story is that every path is different and you can recover from a bad decision if you have enough playing ability. It’s crazy how things work out sometimes.