Skip to main content

Reply to "Late D1 Commit"

Son was expecting offers early post junior year. He tore his MCL and PCL in his first game that summer. Every program that had shown interest disappeared. Then he fell during rehab requiring shoulder separation surgery. He tossed the sling two weeks before his senior year season. He had a very good senior year. But he wasn’t college prospect strong.

The plan was to focus on regaining strength summer after senior year and play Legion. Then, in the fall showcase and take two JuCo classes (two doesn’t start the clock).

He did so well in Legion sections and states he received offers from in state D1’s to start school the next month. He was only slightly interested in one offer. His hitting instructor and former travel coach had been a D1 coach and was then an associate scout. He was very connected. He asked if my son had applied to any of the previously seriously interested programs. My son had applied to the two he wouldn’t need baseball to get accepted. He had visited the campuses and the coaches. His former travel coach made two calls. He had two offers. Both were to walk on that fall and receive money the following year.

My son left for college with a suitcase and a plane ticket three days before classes started. I went out the second weekend with more clothes and bought him other items locally.

He lost out the last position attempting to walk on to a late bloomer pitcher now in the majors. He volunteered to be a bullpen catcher/manager to be part of the team that year. But he had five years to play four. It allowed him to graduate in three years if drafted. He left in five years with an MBA.

Last edited by RJM