Skip to main content

Reply to "Tryout Advice"

real green posted:

The only thing I can add is the cream floats to the top.  Don’t get discouraged if it takes a few weeks to a month for him to earn his spot.  From what you are stating making the team should not be an issue.  Finding the starting roster might take some time.  Even if he appears to be the best option quickly.  

Also, the reverse might happen which could cause some riff amongst parents.  Your son comes out late and takes/earns a spot from a player who has committed to baseball earlier.  Parents might feel their son was cheated because they think the commitment can make up for actual skill.  

Agree re: cream. He sees this as a long term process. He has already been the smaller/weaker player at an org that is very deep, catcher-wise, and has learned to be patient while his skills and size caught up to his ambition. 

As for  the parent issue, I hope (🤞) that won’t be an issue. At the parent/player meeting last week, our son was called out by the head coach specifically as someone who was not allowed to participate in the workouts until his swim season was complete. He then said clearly and emphatically that he would be given a fair opportunity to try out just like everyone else. I didn’t attribute much to it at the time, but perhaps he’s seen this issue rear its ugly head before and was attempting to nip it early.