Skip to main content

Reply to "Tryout Advice"

keewart posted:

My suggestion:  see how the baseball tryout goes and hopefully he will make the team and make an impact.  Next fall, decide if swimming was worth it.   If he makes an impact, maybe the coach will understand the predicament for the next several years.  If he doesn't make the team or make an impact, make some changes.

The followup:  My son decided to play rec basketball the rest of his years in  high school instead of for his HS team.  He was playing with a bunch of buddies, playing against a bunch of athletes from around our area that were in his same predicament, and having a ball and continuing to keep in shape but without all the practices that go along with being on a team.  Maybe your son can do the same with swimming.... to keep in shape....but maybe not compete?

Keep us posted!  Good luck!  

Thanks, Keewart. Def sounds like a similar situation.  My son& I have joked about how he can’t wait to get some more mass back on once he stops swimming 3-5k yards/day. He just can’t eat enough during the day at this point. 

And agree re: seeing where it all lands at the end of the baseball season. There is a very good club swim team that his younger sister is on that he could easily jump into if he feels like it. Then all meets are optional, and he can use it purely for conditioning, or compete when he feels like it and time permits.