Skip to main content

Reply to "Tryout Advice"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Wow, congratulations to your son.  Dang, 6', 155 and they didn't have him throw from the mound or catch?  Seems awfully strange.  He must have impressed him with his bat.  Maybe they have other plans for him.  Not sure how you hold a tryout and don't have every kid who wants to pitch at least game a little bit of time on the mound....usually you can throw a few pitches even if you say "I've never pitched but I'll try" lol

My son was 6'3" 165 going into his frosh year.  Coming off of basketball season he had not spent a lot of time throwing bullpens.  He pitched this Frosh year, sparingly his Soph year and none his Jr and Sr years.  By the time he graduated he was throwing in the mid-80s with a good CU and breaking ball.  He did pitch a lot for his showcase team.  At the end of the day his HS team was loaded with pitchers during his time there and the coach opted to use him for his bat instead.  It's entirely possible that the coach feels he is deep enough at P and C and plans on using your son in some other way.  The one thing that parents need to adjust to is that the HS coaches don't always play the players in the same way the travel and showcase team coaches do.