Skip to main content

Reply to "Lax"

Originally Posted by 9and7dad:

My son goes to a small high school where I believe lax has impacted baseball.  A lot of the kids have gravitated over to lax.  It's not the very good baseball players that are leaving, but more of the role players that often are the key to winning games.  I've seen the really fast outfielder types get lost to lax.  The kids you might pinch run with or the late game defensive replacement type.  What you end up with (again in a small school like ours) is a good baseball team, but often not quite good enough because a couple of potential key contributors are on the lax field. 

This is the problem with small schools but possibly all schools - too many sports for not enough kids.  I get and support the idea of offering opportunities to kids but sometimes you can do too much.  As AD I'm wondering about this now as our student population is growing.  We have gone from a 1A school to a 2A school so what new sports do we offer that will not hurt existing sports?  Hard thing to balance.  So far we have created winter track because it's not going to hurt our basketball and wrestling teams.  Those kids can still do spring track so they don't have to leave their sport in order to compete in winter track.  The next sport we will probably offer is men's tennis and women's golf.  Neither of those should affect existing spring and fall sports but provide more opportunities.

We got a small group of students that want us to start LAX but it's not going to happen.  First reason is I don't want it to hurt baseball, softball, women's soccer, golf or spring track.  Last year we started JV softball and soccer so that's helped create more opportunities without taking away anything.  Have some friction between softball and soccer competing for the same athletes but it's not that bad.  Second reason is we don't have the space to do it.  Our football team doesn't have a practice field and have to do a lot of things on the game field.  We already have varsity, jv football, varsity, jv soccer, middle school football, soccer plus the spring sports.  Unless we want rid of all grass we can't afford to add men or women LAX.  But if we keep growing and make it up to 3A in about 8 years (which unless something changes) is probably going to happen.  Hopefully if that happens they will build us a new school with more facilities.  Our school is already overpopulated and if more are coming we are in trouble but we have to offer them something and probably be LAX.