Skip to main content

Reply to "Leader or divider?"

2020dad posted:
PW posted:

I've  had catchers that have done an awesome job knowing each player and how to treat them. Especially pitchers. My son is a 2020 catcher and he understands that some pitchers need to be told they are the best thing since sliced bread when they are struggling. And some need to have the ball pushed into their chest and told to grow up, quit pouting and pitch! It just depends on what makes them tick. 

Welcome my fellow 2020...   Hopefully we can be on here a long time together, but....   I must disagree with a catcher coming out and saying much of anything significant to a pitcher.  Yes I am bias as a long time pitching guy and now father of a pitcher.  Yes there are times you have to waste time for a guy to warm up and send your catcher out to the mound.  A conversation about pizza will work. Anything else, as a pitcher I would tell him to go back where he belongs. Just me. 

We don't disagree at all my friend. If you, as a pitcher, would react to the catcher in that manner, then it's the catcher's job to know this. In knowing this, the catcher wouldn't help you throw strikes by saying anything so he shouldn't say anything. We ARE going to have many years here together discussing baseball! We are agreeing without even realizing it! 

I should also add it is the catcher's job to gain the trust of the pitcher also. Otherwise it's impossible to have those talks on the mound.