Skip to main content

Reply to "Leadership in college baseball..what is it??"

rz1...

While I do agree that statistical superstars can indeed heavily influence a team’s success...

While I do agree that lack of talent is a major limiting factor to success of team in college ball…

And while I do think that it is true that that individual staistical success can drive a team forward, and encourage everyone to buy in, and in fact an create some team chemistry...that leads to more individual success in domino fashion…

IMO, that holds a great deal more true in a sport like basketball where a statistical superstar is on the floor and can essentially dominate EVERY play. Baseball is the only sport where the rules of the game can "Freeze" out a star statistical superstar. As a result someone else must pick up the slack and temporarily become that statistical, situational, player. (Eckstein)

In basketball or football it is most always the superstar that is the MVP, because he CAN. He is always there on the field in the middle of the important situations. In baseball it is as often one of the supporting cast that takes this role, as the superstar might have been in right field, in the bullpen, not due up until the next inning, been out of the rotation or been walked.

This does not apply as much to high school where superstar players routinely pitch and hit. But as players reach college and specialization begins I think the team aspect becomes increasingly emphasized. Sadly, in pro baseball it is often as much about selling tickets, my stats for my next contract negotiation, than any team considerations.

Know of a DI team in a weak conference that had 9 guys drafted last June (double the second team and more than the rest of the conference combined)..but finished with a very poor overall record, third in their league and went out very early in the season ending championships. All with a very well respected coach.

IMO it is this emphasis on “Team” that makes the college game so unique, so pure and so fun. And while I believe that while all schools would like statistical superstars and actively recruit them, and while lack of talent is a major limiting factor to success of team in college ball...IMO, It is team chemistry that primarily drives college ball, makes it such a unique and great game.

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44