Skip to main content

Reply to "Leads and Steals"

gomo one thing I have learned over the years is we dont realize how important baserunning is untill we make a crucial mistake in a big game. When we are practicing we spend all our time on hitting fielding pitching, game situations, first and thirds, bunt d and o etc. Then we make sure we hurry up and go over some baserunning. I over the last few years have put more emphasis on baserunning because it is so important. To make sure that we spend the time on it we should, we have incorporated it into our live bp sessions. Runner starts out on first and stays there untill the ball is hit. He works on reading the ball out of the pitchers hand and takes second when he sees the ball is (going to be in the dirt) not when it goes in the dirt. He works on his primary and secondary leads. Pitchers work on throwing over during bp and he works on getting back etc. Once he advances we stop him at second and do it all over again. We send him back to first and work on hit and run. We score him from second then he goes back to third and we work on third etc. Good conditioning work and great baserunning work. Its also good work for the base coaches. It also keeps everyone in the field on their toes as well as the pitchers. PG has a great baserunning manuel that they loaned me and I made a copy of it. PM them I am sure they will mail it to you as well.