Skip to main content

Reply to "League Age Determination Discussion"

Back between 2001-2006, with the Aug 1 cutoff, I can remember turning in roster paperwork with boys having August til the following August (even following October) birthdays, & the boys were split aprox 60/40 between two different grades. Before the 2007 season arrived, there was a lot of moving between youth teams as a result of the sanctioned age change. For the most part, the younger players stayed down a year, & were able to thrive. The 2nd result of the May 1 cutoff was on my sons teams, we ended up with nearly all players in the same grade.

My youngest has played on several competitive teams the last few years & the rosters tend to have a large amt of players with birthdays from May - Oct, with maybe one or two having birthdays after the first of the year. This is just the way its worked out.

Can also see USA Baseball's position, 4 months of additional age for their 14's, often means Bigger, Stronger, Quicker & that benefits USA Baseball's National team (what an honor to make!).

While USSSA has grade based ball at 15, can't see the need for grade based tournament ball at the younger ages, it would just allow the ability to stack teams with kids who'd been held back in school multiple times. Witnessed quite a bit of that decades ago in basketball, when I was 12-13-14.
Last edited by journey2