Skip to main content

Reply to "League Ball Participation"

My son had played travel ball all the way through Little League years. When he was 13 he decided he would like to play with his friends from school in Little League Seniors (13 - 15).

He had not played all the way through so he had never been on the local "ALL STAR" team. Well at seasons end he batted over .700 (no kidding, more a statement of the level of league ball than anything else). He played SS very well in comparison to the rest of the league. After the season one of his friends called him to ask if he was going to All Star practice. This was how he found out he was not asked. He told me "I will never play for them"... I tried to tell him all the right things.

A year later the league called and asked to speak with him about playing "All Stars"... he politely declined telling them he had other committments, then hung up and told me he had said he would never play for them.

3 years later only one of theose "All Stars" is playing High School ball in our area. My son played Varsity last season as a Sophmore at a 6A school.

Little League has plenty of Daddy ball; lower level play in this area, and prepares players for the next level much less than a quality travel ball team here in Florida.

I tell my friends with younger players that are good to find a good travel ball team and let the other kids play little league.