Skip to main content

Reply to "Left Out--How Baseball Leaves Low Income Kids Behind"

RKBH posted:

This has always been a subject that has bothered me.  I am glad to see there are opportunities out there that are not expensive.  Having just gone through the process, spending a ton of money, my thoughts are if a player is that good the college coaches in the area where he lives will find him and hopefully the high school coach can be of some assistance in getting the player recruited.  I understand at some Texas high schools that is exactly what the high school coaches do.  From what I can see, this does not happen often on other places. 

I can tell you it does not happen at my son's high school.  My son was able to get references from his hs coach and another father who did play professionally.  The coaches from my son's hs do value my son's talent but sending out feeders to college coaches is not usually done at his hs.  If the kid is an absolute stud I'm sure colleges and or pro scouts will find him. But what if he's no stud, and I'm guessing that's probably most kids. Say he's only very good and good enough to play college ball will college coaches find him? Maybe not. It's up to the kid and us parents to find the opportunities.