Skip to main content

Reply to "Lefty Catchers"

quote:
Originally posted by Catching Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by Prospectwire:
The problem is throwing runners out. It's that simple.

We are talking about tenths of a second that determine a good catcher from a bad one. 2.0 flat is an average catcher. 1.8 is a catcher that can throw great to the bases.

Matt, 2.0 flat is average for who?? High school? College?? Pro?

1.8 is great for who? High school? College?

Are you refering to game throws or training enviornment/showcase throws?

Catching Coach,

My times were just as an example to prove that tenths of a second can decide a catcher's career behind the plate. I didnt want to get too technical with it.

Just for the sake of expanding on your question though, I would break down it by the following:

Pop Times
Major League Average: 1.90 seconds
HS Average: 2.00 seconds, maybe 2.05

This can be interpreted that if you throw a 2.0 in the big leagues, you are below average. If you throw a 2.0 in high school, you are about average. This is just arm strength. Catchers are obviously evaluated for receiving, blocking, leadership qualities, ability to manage a staff and a game, etc.

The showcase/game question is really just player-specific. Are the people running the showcase letting the catcher get away with a half squat, or are they being strict with him? Does a player in a game situation feel a greater sense of urgency and perform quicker throws under the game pressure?

Hope I answered your question.