Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson for High School Players From College Summer Leagues"

I will add, I appreciate HokieOne's providing insight into the habits of successful players.

In the exposure baseball world, as the number of teams continues to proliferate we see more and more guys who will SAY that they want to play in college because they do like playing, they see their friends going, and they think "me too."  But too many of them SAY that without having any idea what it is they are signing up for, and often without actually dedicating themselves at the level required.  In HS you play two seven-inning games a week on average and often the practices are not what you would call demanding.  In college your schedule is a full time job with lots of overtime, and then by the way there are those classes you have to pass, too.  And then you find out there is no rest for the weary over the summer, because you're heading off to some rural area with no cell phone service where you will sleep in some nice family's spare bedroom while waiting for the time to come to report to the bus for the next day's game.

For all the people who get caught "keeping up with the Joneses" in pursuit of college baseball, I wonder how many really ought to play club ball or just Legion ball over the summer and keep it pretty much recreational.  We see lots of talented kids who are completely unwilling to curtail their late night partying, who don't pay attention to what they eat or drink, and who think their natural ability will carry them through college the way it has (so far) in high school. 

Those kids don't make it.