Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Try running into "that dad" in a non baseball/athletic environment, where the dad has no idea you know your stuff, and starts bragging about his 15-year-old who "throws 90" and has already "signed a LOI with ASU." Kid wasn't even playing high school ball.

I just don't get why people lie about this stuff, especially now, when a simple google search will pull someone's card. I had a conversation with a guy several weeks back, he was popping off about playing at two different colleges, and then playing several years in the minors before hanging them up because of "politics." When I told him where I played, he told me who his cousin was (a stud collegiate player who had a pretty successful minor league career), and I told him I played against him several times. He got this uneasy face. He then made the mistake of telling me of what small town he was from, and I of course played with someone from that town and of course, I knew his high school coach.

I fully believed him going home. Out of curiosity, went to check out his stats. Never been drafted, never played an inning of minor league baseball, never played at the D1 he said he had, only at the JC. He only gave me his first name, but the cousin's name drop was a dead giveaway for the last name. I run into this guy about once a week now. I pretend like I have no idea, no point in calling dude out and embarrassing him, but it's funny.

Last edited by RGDeuce