Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Originally Posted by Leftside:

It is a struggle to be objective with your own kid.  I try.  The best thing I have done (for myself) in this regard is give myself a job to do while he is pitching....and I gave myself one rule.  The job is to track balls and strikes.  Just on a basic ap on my phone.  But, he has struggled with control at times.  So, there it is, no rounding up, no guessing it is either called a ball or strike or fouled off or put in play.  60% strikes is 60%....you can't look at a number that says 52% and think, "well, it should say 65%."  

The rule I gave myself is to shut the heck up.  I never say anything to the blue or even really cheer or complain.  I started doing this quite awhile ago.  If he throws a nice pitch for a K the most I may do is clap once, but, usually I don't do anything.  If a guy smashes one in the gap I don't do or say anything.  If a guy makes an error I don't say or do anything.  It amazes me at the 19U level how many parents are still acting like it is year 2 of little league.  A kid hits a single and they act like its a walk off bomb in a World Series game.  A kid doesn't get a ball 4 call and they cat call the blue.  

At a tournament this past weekend I hear parents on several teams complain about the blue and him favoring one team or another....believe me, the umps don't care who wins.  They want the game to keep moving and to do their job and move on to the next game.  

One parent even tried to file a complaint again my sons coach for "bullying" one of his player because he suggested he get his Fing head out of his a** after missing signs twice.  It is just crazy out there.  

Once my son got to varsity; I had a dad say "enjoy the moment and let it be his".  My wife and I would put our headsets in and just enjoy the game.  Sometimes it wasn't pretty, sometimes it was great.  He went 10-1 his senior season with only loss in playoffs against #1 team in state.  Greatest year of baseball; not because he has having success; but b/c we just enjoyed the process.

We go watch him play in college and he pitches and plays the field.  Again, my wife and I are there to watch him and to watch baseball.  I am not there to yell, scream, jump around or talk; I want to watch my son because I don't know how much more he will play.