Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

LOL i had to dig up this account i hadnt logged into in a year to reply to this thread...

Any chance the kid and father in the OP were local (to USC)? Because man do they sound like a father and son i am pretty acquainted with. The whole family is nuts.Its like they think all the other players are only there to provide filler for their son to showcase his talent. And woe be to the kid who makes an error while their son is pitching. Mom will literally shout at the offending player, and then storm out, usually glaring at the kid who made the error's parents the whole time. 

The crazy part is that for as insanely intense as they are about getting Timmy off to college ball (where if he has any chance of playing in college it is IMO most likely as a pitcher) they seem painfully out of tune with what college coaches and recruiters are looking for in pitchers: Arm action, velocity, command, composure. They dont care of some JV first baseman didnt pick the ball on a low throw from SS. Probably they dont care about JV games at all. But its almost like you can see them mentally watching their son's ERA and college scolly opportunities being 100% linked. Heck kids making errors behind Timmy can actually be a good thing as it allows him to show off his composure and how he deals with adversity.

Some other highlights, of the top of my head:

Kid filled in for a 15 u team a couple of times when he was 13u. Afterwards, it got slipped into every conversation. "Yeah it IS hot today. But not as hot as it was this past weekend when Timmy was playing 15u ball." Turns out the 15u team was something like 3-27 that summer.

Dad told me once "Timmy is only playing high school ball to play with his friends. If it was up to me, we'd skip HS ball altogether and just do showcases" This was before his son's 8th grade season.

Mom and dad got pissed at the AS manager selection process when Timmy was a 12 year old, and took their kid and went home. A couple of days later they relented, and let Timmy back on the team, saying, "They decided to just let it be about the kids." Jackholes...its always supposed to be just about the kids.

When the AS team faltered at States, Dad told me that "Timmy could only do so much all by himself." Like give up the walk off hit to the team that put them out of the tournament.

Dad rails against LL being daddy ball constantly. Guess where his kid is playing this summer. The HS summer team that most of the rising soph's are playing on? On some big expensive showcase team? Nope on a travel team coached by.....

...wait for it.....

Dad.

You cant make this stuff up.

Last edited by threeunassisted