Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Originally Posted by 2017LHPscrewball:

You may find the parents obnoxious, but at times you have to pity the kid who gets strung (pushed) along only to discover late in the game that his parents perpetuated the scam.

And this is the part that is really sad to me. We have several kids who have been deluded by their parents. They don't have great fundamentals. But, their parents have built them up so much that they think they are the best of the best.

Two kids in particular pop into my head. They were LL All Stars every year and they really hang their hats on that. What they don't understand is that the really good kids in our area don't play LL. They really had no clue that there were more competitive leagues and travel teams out there. So, they show up to high school and they are way behind. Have a hard time catching and throwing, can't read the ball off the bat, can't hit even BP throwing, etc. Parents are still telling them they'll be fine because they are All Stars, like that means anything in the grand scheme of things. Both kids make the Frosh team, but get very little playing time. Instead of the parents seeing where their kid's are limited and helping them to improve, it's all the coach's fault. Their kid doesn't want to play anymore because the coach has taken all the joy out of the game. Now that they've given up on baseball, my hubby recently overheard one of these dads telling someone else that his kid is going to be the best football player to ever come out of our high school. No matter that he plays Center and is maybe 5'10 and 160 lbs and isn't the fastest or strongest kid in the program. Dad has now shifted his delusion to an entirely different sport.