Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:
Originally Posted by Leftside:

Like I said, to each their own. 

To me it is grating at that level (high school age or older).  If someone is doing more than yelling out a little encouragement or clapping for a hit (or whatever) almost without fail they are complaining about the blue screwing them over or whatever.  Again, I am sure many have had other experiences.  

The onus of me changing came from my son.  I would yell out encouragement (and occasionally instruction) during games and it drove him nuts.  He finally said, about sophmore year of HS, "Just be quiet.  If I made a bad pitch I know it, if I made a good play I know it.  Its irritating." 

So, I stopped.  For me, just me, it made the game much more enjoyable.  

I never gave instruction, god knows he did not need it from me. I would comment on a good pitch but would not call him out by name. I asked my son if any of it bothered him. He said "Frankly Dad, I don't hear you." 

I root for our side but also recognize if an opposing player makes a good play/pitch. Like BBallman says, it is just part of the game for me. 

Pretty similar to me actually.  I don't want it to seem like I am sitting there like Weekend At Bernies.  I will clap a little or certainly acknowledge a good play by either team.  

The giving instruction part is embarrassing in hindsight.  That is why I brought it up.  My son had the opposite reaction he only heard me.