Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Yes, I will still talk about my son some, but not near as much as I used to.  When he was younger - pre HS - I did.  At some point, I think during early HS, I realized that I sounded like THAT parent.  From that point, I totally dialed it down.  

Every parent is proud of their kid.  Not everyone wants to hear about it ALL the time.  Sometimes I will start talking and soon realize what I am doing and have to stop.  Other times, I prefer not to say anything.  Other times my son does well and it's fun to talk about, and there are times things don't go so well and it's not fun to talk about.  Although I share with those close to me the bad times as well as the good, but try to keep it to a minimum.  

Once again, I think there is a balance.  It's OK to be proud of your son and share that with people.  If you get into embellishment or exaggerate his skills, it becomes a problem.  If you dominate the conversation with the accolades of your son, it can become a problem.  I may talk for a few minutes if someone asks, but soon turn the conversation to how their kid is doing.  

I'm not saying parents of good players don't talk at all about their kids.  They should be proud.  I know I am.  However, the parents of the good players don't turn into THAT parent - most of the time.