Skip to main content

Reply to "Lesson to be learned"

Originally Posted by bballman:

Honestly, I have noticed the better the kid is, the less the parents talk.  A couple of kids my son went to HS with wound up drafted out of college.  One is playing in MiLB, the other was drafted twice, but declined and will be playing his senior year at Kentucky.  The first guy was drafted out of Clemson.  In HS, his parents NEVER talked about him.  Even when prompted.  I would ask them questions in talking to them and they were very reluctant to talk about any accolades or stats or anything else.  The other I still talk to his dad about baseball and we follow his son's games together, but never a bragging word or saying much to bolster his kid up at all.

Like I said, the better the player, the less the parents tend to talk.

I made this exact point in another thread. We have a kid that is special on our team. You can see it right away. The parents never talk about him or his accolades. This Spring, he earned 1st team all league and 2nd team all state honors as a Sophomore. The parents never mentioned it. If someone congratulated their son, they simply said thank you. The kid is the same way. Doesn't talk about how great he is or where he is going to play after high school. Both the parents and the kids are great supporters of the program and the other kids. I have learned a lot from how they present themselves.