Skip to main content

Reply to "Lessons in retrospect"

returner posted:

I know it’s been a few years again, but I’m back. I’m sorry I’ve been so wordy in the past... I’m here with one simple question this time if anyone has a moment.

I’m looking to get involved in baseball again. I’m now about ten years removed from playing organized baseball, and a few years removed from playing college sports. I am not looking to change careers, but I do want to be involved on weeknights, weekends, etc on a volunteer basis.  I know I don’t bring all that much relevant experience, but I miss baseball immensely and really want to be involved again. Anything where I could also help be (I hope) a positive role model to younger players off the field would be a big plus.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I’m sorry if I’ve just taken up space here before, but I’m very grateful in advance for any thoughts anyone has to share.

I went back and read some of your story.  I think there are lots of avenues you can take.  One of the best would be to get involved as an assistant coach at the HS level.  You would have to sort of get a feel for the HC and make sure his philosophy is one that will allow you to contribute both as a baseball coach and, more importantly, as a role model to younger kids.  I think your negative experience at this age level will motivate you here even more so than with much younger kids.  Also, you will be with them more often and truly have an opportunity to be that role model.  HS programs can almost always use another young guy that can work a fungo and throw BP.  If you go the route of Babe Ruth or younger, you are only with them a few times a week and not really getting to know them enough to be a real influencer.  

Depending on the program, you may also be able to be a HC of JV or Freshman ball.  Then, you could really set the stage in regards to setting the example and mentoring, instead of working around the HC's schedule and directives.

As a recent HS HC, I was blessed to have an assistant coach in recent years that was an older guy who was a baseball guy but, more so, wanted to mentor.  He would come early every day and set up practice and talk with the boys... sometimes individually, sometimes collectively.  Just inspiring them to excel at humanity.  He was able to weave his lessons thru baseball stories.  He made an impact.  

BTW, what was the college sport you ended up playing?