Skip to main content

Reply to "Lessons Learned In Collegiate Summer Wooden Bat League"

quote:
14. You can lose 10 pounds in 2 months by eating 2 hot dogs and drinking a large sweet tea every evening...if you're also at the ballpark from 4:00 to 11:00. I did and I was.

Those sweet teas were really big at the park in Strasburg!

On a serious note, I don't think many people realize the types of things that people like hokieone do for young players and people of their own community. As a college player that has enjoyed two years of summer collegiate baseball experience, I can attest to the fact that summer collegiate teams mean much more to those involved than just simply throwing a bunch of ballplayers together and fielding a team. The relationships that are formed both on and off the field last longer than one would ever expect. I have made friends in both the places I played in that I continue to talk to today and will continue to talk to in the future. I still very much keep in touch with my host family from both place, as they meant so much in my life allowing me to come into their home and join their family for the relatively short amount of time I was in town. But most of all, the single most amazing thing I've seen in relation to summer collegiate baseball, is the amount of support that the team receives from the town they are in. It truly seems as though each and every individual in the area is excited about the team's existence and involvement, and truly feels like we become part of the population for the summer.

Both the teams I played for in the two summers were expansion teams, and both teams had their pros and cons. Being that I was on the Strasburg Express roster for only a brief period of time before I departed due to injury, I will attest to everything hokieone said to the best of my abilities. Was the Strasburg Express perfect? No, of course not, I'm sure hokieone will readily admit that. No one is perfect, not everything can be run amazingly everyday. But the pros certainly outweigh the cons in most situations. Organizations like the Strasburg Express provide a haven for college players looking to continue their playing careers and earn valuable experience outside of their respective schools. People like hokieone do a great service to the game of baseball because he enables the game to be extended further than the community that already exists. His envisioning and hard work allows for several dozen college baseball players to come together in a foreign town, cooperating with foreign faces, living with foreign people, all playing a common game. It really is a fabulous experience and I'm sure hokieone will readily admit, something that is very prideful to accomplish and to sit back and appreciate.

So speaking from a college baseball player's perspective, thank you to all those who choose to invest their time and effort in making organizations like this become a reality. A special thanks to hokieone, of course, for allowing me to briefly experience life in the Valley and to allow me to be a part of something as special as the inaugural season of the Strasburg Express.
Last edited by J H