Skip to main content

Reply to "LET'S TALK LEAGUES"

@baseballhs posted:

My son played the Northwoods League last year and it was a grind. Got there  May 31st and didn’t get to come home until August 12th (had to be back in campus the 17th).  Long bus rides. Got home anywhere from 12-4am. Played everyday except 4-5 days all summer. As a pitcher, his team had a LOT of pitchers on the team..  He ended up pitching every 7th day but was still required to attend all games.  He was not with a great host family and mentally it was a tough summer. He said it was supposed to be and he was going to lean in to it.  That said, I know it was hard. His team was good. Won the division, lowest team ERA in the League, went to the championship.  I think he values the experience but said he won’t go back.  He just signed a contract for next summer in the Cape Cod league. Less games, no more than an hour or so drive to games and they finished earlier.

My son had a similar experience with long and frequent bus trips in the Coastal plain League, and it took a toll on him. Situations can vary tremendously based on the team, the division, the schedule, and the home town of the team. It’s best to do some research before you commit - that is if you have that luxury. Playing summer ball can really help a player develop but if pro ball isn’t your goal (or isn’t realistic) then you should be looking for the best fit and not the most high profile league you can get into.