Skip to main content

Reply to "Let the season (08) begin ..."

Wow,
April 2008 gone for proball. It is actually mine's first season of proball. Son has had some teammates move up already, others let out of extended to cover positions needed. Injuries (already) create movement.

Everyday is the same, report certain time, either get there earlier for a bus ride out, or 4 hours before a home game. Dinner after the game, wind down, get to bed, get up to do it all over again. It's not glamourous, however, in South Florida some players find it to be. Cool The weather has been great, but I understand some already dreading the heat and humidity to follow, it's tough to play in, pitchers have to adjust due to humidity and team is already on those not used to it for drinking more water now.
There are some players older than son who have had injuries or not performed who were top prospects when drafted. They know their time is limited, if they don't move to AA by this summer, they could be gone next year. That creates a lot of pressure.

Every league is different, FL is a pitcher's league played in ML spring training facilities. Beautiful, but big. Those pitchers moved up stuggling a bit at the next level in a different type of league. Line up changes often, pitcher has to adjust each game on defense. You don't always have the same guys behind you, the same catcher. You have to throw what they want you to that day. If you are a FB pitcher, one day all of a sudden you have to work on the CB or slider. If you are told to gently plunk someone to move them back, you got to do it and be willing to do so without reprecussions (ER for the walk) If you are told to come inside and hit the batter at the hands, you got to move forward and shake it off. This is one thing you have to learn as you go, you have to be able to adjust or adapt or you can't move forward. It's not HS and not college ball.

For those of you hoping that someday your player may get the chance to play proball at the highest level, the possibilities are more against you than for you. My hats off to anyone who has reached that goal, those players are special and we all have no clue what it took them to get there.
Last edited by TPM