Skip to main content

Reply to "Let them play, let them fail, let them play other sports"

@HSDad22 posted:

I saw a recent quote from a Power 5 coach that said, (paraphrased) "I like recruiting Pitchers from the North because they have winter and can't play baseball year round, and play other sports, they're athletes".  Saying that about a pitcher is like telling your buddy don't worry, she's got a GREAT personality.  Now if he meant that the kid won't have his arm blown out from over-use, that I can see as a valid statement.

As much arm injury as I am seeing late hs early college, I think its a valid statement.  Not just pitchers, they are starting to see lots of back injuries due to repetition.  In warm states, a majority of kids are playing year round.

An anecdotal story...Kid at our hs was a top baseball prospect.  Committed before freshman year.  The feedback he was getting before senior year was that scouts didn't think he was athletic enough.  Senior year he played basketball too so he could show more athleticism, and was the high scorer almost every game. He went number 12 overall and I do think that helped.  Baseball scouts would watch him play basketball Friday night and show up Saturday to watch him play baseball.  Complete freak talent.