Skip to main content

Reply to "Let them play, let them fail, let them play other sports"

@BBSBfan posted:

Another aspect of multi-sports is the variation of competitive experiences.   Son who is a 2022 committ asked his soon to be college coach if he should play basketball this winter or skip his senior year for baseball training.  Coach surprised us.  Said, play basketball, compete every day, handle different pressures.  He said kids come to college with more skill and strength than ever but less competitive experiences.  He followed by saying motivated kids will find time to maintain their baseball training.

I agree completely. My kids were multi sport athletes. They were also top students. They found time to do it all.

Because my daughter played four sports some friends sometimes got on her for lack of time together. The fourth sport was indoor track on the second team for the 4x100 and 4x200. She had basketball during the week and track on Saturday nights. Track was her hang time with those friends. Several of her long time friends had gravitated to track. She travels with a fast crowd 😀. There’s a lot of hanging out time in track.

On Friday’s my son had soccer in the afternoon and punting for the football team at night. The one thing he didn’t have time for was learning how to elevate placekicks. The previous soccer/place kicker went to kickers camp in the summer. He kicked for a D1 rather than play college soccer.