Skip to main content

Reply to "Lets Talk Pitching - Ask/Discussion about pitching from professional instructor"

I have several concerns with simply saying 'whatever works'.  I must stipulate though that I like something structured and tangible so admittedly I would struggle with this type of approach.  Second how do we define 'works'?  Avoiding injury?  Being a successful hs pitcher?  College scholarship...  beyond?  If we just do what we have been doing (whatever that is) how do we know we didn't leave something on the table?   And for some people anything 'works'.  I went to school with a guy who pitched about 15 years in the majors.  One time 20 game winner.  He was great at every sport he played from a very early age.  Could have been a college scholarship quarterback and he was a great basketball player as well.  Basically he could roll out of bed and beat you.  I guess the question is how does that borderline guy give himself an advantage?  That's where I would welcome all new thoughts and research.  I am not saying many of the tried and true methods are bad but I am saying baseball coaches in general tend to be a little stubborn and unwilling to do the research necessary to stay up to date and remain open minded.  And that's just my observation.  I am not trying to be critical just having a conversation.